Suggestions for hikes on Maui
Tony Lima
2008-09-11 14:20:02 UTC
My family is vacationing on Maui. The two "kids" (24 and
26) want to take one or two hikes. Suggestions greatly
appreciated, especially those that (a) don't involve too
much driving up winding roads and (b) are relatively close
to Kihei. Mahalo in advance. - Tony
Dan Birchall
2008-09-12 15:05:01 UTC
***@att.net (Tony Lima) wrote:
> My family is vacationing on Maui. The two "kids" (24 and
> 26) want to take one or two hikes. Suggestions greatly
> appreciated, especially those that (a) don't involve too
> much driving up winding roads and (b) are relatively close
> to Kihei. Mahalo in advance. - Tony

Hmmm. Maybe Iao Valley State Park west of Wailuku? I went there
when I was last on Maui and don't remember the road being bad. (I
also went up Haleakala, but I think you don't want to do that. :)

Just a thought.

--
"Infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth glisten with
grey: but never am I unblest."
al Guacamole
2008-09-13 03:45:01 UTC

Don't drink running water... You'll get sick.
RI Kanaka
2008-09-13 03:45:03 UTC
"Tony Lima" <***@att.net> wrote in message

> My family is vacationing on Maui. The two "kids" (24 and
> 26) want to take one or two hikes. Suggestions greatly
> appreciated, especially those that (a) don't involve too
> much driving up winding roads and (b) are relatively close
> to Kihei. Mahalo in advance. - Tony

Link here to listing of Maui hiking trails:

http://www.mauimapp.com/information/hiking.htm
al Guacamole
2008-09-14 21:15:01 UTC
On Sep 12, 5:45 pm, "RI Kanaka" <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Link here to listing of Maui hiking trails:
>
> http://www.mauimapp.com/information/hiking.htm

Great map. I've gone down part of the sliding sands trail into the
crater, and part of the trail out in Waianapanapa.

Just recalled that especially on Maui there is a danger of the falling
into lava tubes if you stray off the trail. It's especially dangerous
if you hike in the Haleakala crater. Coming back up on the sliding
sands trail from the crater is tough since the going uphill is steep.
I wouldn't want to try it today. You'll need to rest when going uphill
due to some difficulty in breathing at the high altitude.

Recall rumors that there used to be some nude bathing in the fresh
water pools along the forest trails on the slopes of Haleakala-- say
on the road to Hana. But I've never heard anyone actually say that
they saw that. I still hear rumors of the same on Kihei beaches -- but
I'm sure that the local authorities would have put a stop to that if
it were true. Remote mountain pools are harder to police.